Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Checklist? Check.

It is after 10:00 p.m. now. I am running through my checklist for the final time. Malaria prescription, check. Sunscreen, check. Passport, check. Laptop, check. Money, check. Work for the plane, check. The list is endless.

In just under 12 hours, we (a group a 9 of us) will embark on a roughly 26 hour journey that will land us in Johannesburg, South Africa. 17.5 hours of the trip will be spent in the air. Yes, 17.5 hours was not a typo.

So, why are we going to South Africa? We are going for the World Cup, right? Wrong. The World Cup begins in June. At least 10 people have assumed that is the reason I am going. In reality, we will be taking part in an Honor's Thesis trip with Dr. Neidermeyer, or Dr. N. Among the sightseeing, we will be helping out several not-for-profit groups with their information technology, or simply IT systems and accounting work in Joburg, Capetown, and Nelspruit. The trip is also a bit of a fact finding trip to ascertain a location to establish a Micro-Lending program.

Now that we have discussed why I am going to South Africa, it is time to determine what kind of clothes to bring with you. I don't know about anybody else, but I for one brought running clothes. You can't train for a marathon and take a week off a month before the big race (Pittsburgh Marathon May 2, 2010). I am fortunate enough that everywhere we are staying has a fitness center with a treadmill. If it can be arranged, I may even venture outside of the hotel for a run.

Okay, in all seriousness, jeans and older clothes that can be left behind to make room for souvenirs are mainly what I brought. I am 3-bag heavy though (laptop bag, carry on, and one checked bag not weighing over 44 pounds).

Tomorrow is finally the big day. It is time to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment